Revitalizing Toledo East: Navigating the Fire Damage Restoration Journey with SERVPRO of Toledo East
Date: Nov 21, 2023
Did you know that in the United States, fire departments respond to a fire every 23 seconds, according to the National Fire Protection Association? Fires can bring homes and businesses to a standstill, demanding an intricate restoration process. Join us as we explore the crucial steps, guided by the expertise of SERVPRO of Toledo East, dedicated to aiding our community in the aftermath of fire disasters.
Guiding Toledo East Through Fire Damage Restoration
Fire damage restoration is a meticulous process orchestrated by dedicated professionals at SERVPRO of Toledo East, aimed at restoring properties affected by fire and smoke to their preloss condition. This journey isn't just about time; it's a comprehensive effort, addressing the diverse challenges posed by fire and water damage.
The Dual Challenge: Fire and Water Damage
In Toledo East, fires are combated with water, a necessary but potentially damaging solution. As our local fire department battles blazes, structures get drenched, sometimes causing pipes to burst or melt. This introduces water into the structure, compounding the challenges. The combined impact of fire and water damage underscores the need for a swift and expert response.
Once the property is secured, immediate action is taken to address the primary concern – water removal. This not only prevents further damage but also lays the groundwork for a thorough restoration process.
Unveiling the Restoration Process
1. Assessment of Damage
Before the restoration journey kicks off, professionals at SERVPRO of Toledo East ensure official approval to enter the property safely. A detailed assessment of fire and water damage is conducted, gauging the extent of penetration and evaluating cleanup requirements. This sets the stage for a personalized and effective restoration plan.
2. Security, Debris Removal, and Boarding Up
Post-assessment, securing the property is paramount. Fencing is installed, debris is cleared, and openings are boarded up to prevent further damage. Meticulous efforts isolate unaffected areas, ensuring minimal cross-contamination.
3. Demolition, Water Removal & Dry Out
To counter mold and corrosion, the focus shifts to removing water and drying the property. Personal items are cleared, damaged materials stripped down, and water extraction crews use specialized equipment. Throughout, SERVPRO of Toledo East ensures roof tarps play a crucial role in preventing additional water intrusion.
4. Clean Up & Smoke Removal
The intensive cleanup phase is where expertise shines. Meticulous manual labor removes smoke and soot from surfaces. Deodorizing agents eliminate lingering odors, and duct cleaning ensures the removal of settled debris, completing the comprehensive cleanup process.
5. Construction & Restoration
The final stride towards preloss conditions involves necessary repairs and rebuilding. Unsalvageable structures are replaced, covering tasks like roof rebuilding, electrical replacement, drywall, and flooring replacement, and interior restoration.
Your Trusted Partner in Toledo East
In times of crisis, having a trusted ally ensures a smoother and more efficient restoration journey. Committed to assisting our community, SERVPRO of Toledo East stands as a beacon of support, helping homes and businesses rise from the ashes and regain their former glory.
For a complimentary property damage assessment, reach out to SERVPRO of Toledo East.
Contact Information: [Include contact details for SERVPRO of Toledo East]
Disclaimer: This blog post serves informational purposes only. For personalized advice, consult with a professional.
Know the Facts: US & Ohio Fire Stats
We are "here to help" handle your home or business's fire damage restoration needs!
The unpredictable nature of fires can lead to so much devastation and loss for your home or business.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are around 346,800 house fires per year causing on average 2,620 fatalities.
Understanding the facts when it comes to fires can help you to better prepare your family and employees in case of disaster.
General Fire Facts & Stats
- Cooking is the leading cause of house fires, followed by:
- Electrical Systems & Equipment
- In 2020, fire and lightning insurance claims had the highest average payout of $77,340.
- On average, across the US, a fire department responded to a fire every 23 seconds in 2021.
- In 2021, there were 1,353,500 fires reported, including residential and non-residential structures.
- In 2020, per 1,000 fires, the national average was 2 deaths and 8 injuries.
Ohio Fire Facts & Stats
- Ohio has the 7th most fatal home fires per capita in relation to the other 50 states, with Texas being the first.
- Smoking is the top cause of fire deaths in the state of Ohio, making up 20% of fatalities.
It's difficult and scary to imagine your home or business experiencing a fire. It can be hard to determine where to start when a disaster like this occurs.
If your home or business falls victim to a fire, SERVPRO of Toledo East is "here to help." Our experienced technicians handle the care and restoration of your property and its contents. We handle the cleanup and the reconstruction, so you don't have to worry about juggling multiple companies.
If you find yourself in need of fire damage restoration, give us a call today!
Know the Facts: US & Ohio Water Damage Stats
We are "here to help" handle your home or business's water damage restoration needs!
It's no secret that April showers are the start of Ohio's rainy season. Despite the name, April is only the 4th rainiest month in Ohio, with May, June, and the rainiest, July rounding out the top three.
As we work our way through the wet season, it's important to understand the facts of water and storm damage.
National Water Damage Facts & Stats
- 14,000 people in the US are affected by water damage every day.
- The average insurance claim to repair a water damaged home is $11,605.
- 99% of US counties experienced a flood from 1996-2019.
- 98% of US homes will experience water damage in their basements at least once.
- Even the smallest leak can increase the average water bill by 10%.
- In 2020, almost 20% of home insurance claims were due to water damage and freezing.
Ohio Water Damage Facts & Stats
- In Ohio, 540,863 properties have more than a 26% chance of being affected by severe flooding in the next 30 years.
- In 2021, at least 142 people died in flooding incidents, 64 of which were driving.
Water damage, whether it be from flooding or a storm, can be a difficult process to deal with. Luckily, SERVPRO of Toledo East is equipped to handle all of your water damage restoration needs! From the drying process to reconstruction, we work with all insurances to get your home or business looking "like it never even happened."
Are You Prepared for Spring Storms?
SERVPRO of Toledo East is here to handle all of your water damage restoration needs this spring!
Storm Prep is Worth the Time
Each year, thunderstorms alone cause approximately $27 million in property damage. Summer and spring seasons are the most vulnerable to these destructive and frightening storms.
There are several ways to prepare your property for the summer.
- Always have an emergency kit with these items that you probably already have in your house: flashlight, battery powered weather radio, extra batteries to fit each electronic, non-perishable foods, lots of bottled water, can opener, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, blankets, extra clothes, sturdy shoes or boots, clock or watch, whistle to signal for help, and any important personal items and documents.
- Know the safest structure of your home to go to during a severe storm such as a basement, underground cellar, or even the most inner part of your home away from windows.
- Get routine maintenance on your roof and the foundation. Cracks in the roof are the number one leading cause to flooding damage.
- Cut down any unwanted trees or limbs and get your trees trimmed before summer storm season. Trees and branches can fall on your property and damage the siding, windows, and roof.
- Contact your insurance company to be more familiar with your policy. Most home insurers do not cover flooding damage.
- Keep all expensive and favored possessions off the floor and away from low ground in case of flooding.
- Keep all patio furniture, grills, etc. in doors before a summer storm hits. Do not forget to part your vehicles in the garage.
- Finally, take those summer storm warnings and alerts seriously, especially tornado warnings. Tornadoes can lead to total property loss and even death.
Stay Safe During a Storm
We have experienced quite the rainy and stormy summer so far, and with these storms comes a risk of personal and property damage. Keeping yourself and your loved ones safe during a storm is the top priority, so here are a few tips to help you for the rest of the summer:
- Remain indoors. This can be inside your home or the home of a neighbor if need be. If you are outdoors, seek shelter at a local business, or a public restroom. Public restrooms in parks are typically built to be storm proof. Should there be no other options, sheltering in your car should keep you safe and dry as you wait out the storm.
- Stay away from windows. The safest place to be during a storm is a basement. If your house doesn’t have a basement, bathrooms are a good choice as well.
- Try to stay away from appliances. Avoid showering or talking on a wired phone during a storm. Lightening can travel through plumbing fixtures or home wiring, so avoid using your washer and dryer during a storm. Lightning strikes can cause those appliances to short and catch fire.
- Once the storm has passed, be cautious when walking around, especially outside. Be alert for down powerlines and tree branches. If you smell gas, be sure to contact authorities immediately.
Storms can be scary to witness, but following these steps can help to put your mind at ease during the next one. If you find that a storm has caused damage, feel free to call SERVPRO of Toledo East today and let the experts take care of it!
SERVPRO of Toledo East is Ready for All of Your Storm Needs
If you have experienced any type of storm damage, whether it be from flooding or water damage, the experienced Storm Team at SERVPRO of Toledo East will be there for you. Although we are an Ohio based franchise, we prepare in advance for expected damage from any storm anywhere in the United States! We respond quickly, too, because we know that immediate action and a fast response lessens damage, limits further damage, and reduces restoration costs. Our professionally trained crews have the specialized equipment and resources needed to handle the job, large or small, residential and commercial. Our teams strategically prepare ahead of the storm and place equipment at the best locations in case of flood or storm emergency. With several certifications and over 50 years of experience, you can rest assured that we are perfectly equipped to deal with any storm job no matter the size. Choose SERVPRO of Toledo East a company that specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. We are Here to Help® and are ready to respond when Mother Nature strikes.
A Fire Evacuation Plan Could Keep Your Family Safe
Nobody wants to even think about a fire starting and spreading through their home, but it is important to be prepared in case an emergency does arise. Developing a fast and seamless evacuation plan is crucial to keeping your family members safe. Designing and practicing the plan can help ensure that everyone is prepared in case of a disaster. Here are the most essential components of a home evacuation plan:
- Escape Routes
Indicating designated escape routes within your home will help to avoid confusion and help make for faster thinking. Take note of all the exits in your house, including doors and windows. It’s preferable to indicate two escape routes for each room so that everyone has more options to get out safely in the event of a home fire.
- Smoke Alarms
Be sure to check that all smoke alarms are functioning properly. There should be one installed in each bedroom as well as outside of each sleeping area. Smoke alarms must also be present on each level of the house, including the basement. Having the right number of functioning alarms in your home is a vital aspect of basic fire preparation.
- Meeting Area
It is important to designate a meeting place, especially because your family may be confused or panicked after escaping your home. This meeting place will allow you to be sure that everyone made it out okay. Examples of a meeting area include:
- Street sign
- Light post
- Another house far away from yours
Be sure that the meeting place is sufficiently far from your home and clearly indicate it to all of your family members.
The most effective way to ensure that everyone follows the plan in a real emergency is to practice it repeatedly. Conducting drills will help familiarize your family with the plan, so it comes naturally in case of a fire. When everyone is prepared, they can react calmly and stay safe.
Creating a reliable fire escape plan is only the first step towards recovering from a fire. To have your home return to its normal state, contact us at SERVPRO of Toledo East.
We Know of to Identifying and Effectively Clean Your Smoke Damage!
Our pros can help identify the type of smoke damage, and take the right actions to clean it!
Smoke and soot can spread worse than a fire, leaving hidden damage and odor that can take forever to be rid of. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allow us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Toledo East will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Smoke and fire damage can differ per situation. Our professionals have the equipment and expertise to handle whatever kind of damage you experience.
Contact us today! 419-495-5220
Is Your HVAC System Clean?
Have you ever noticed at home, or in your office at work, how quickly dust builds up on your desk or furniture? Think about the dust that you see and imagine the dust that you can’t! Poor air quality can lead to a multitude of negative health effects. Ventilation systems are the number one culprit for poor air quality indoors. Make it a priority to inspect the ductwork of your home or business.
HVACs that have been operating for some time without maintenance can circulate pollen, dander, bacteria, and other harmful particles through the air, even mold.
Keeping your airducts clean can extend the life of the equipment. This can in turn save you money and time, and give you cleaner air to breathe.
The benefits of servicing your HVAC unit include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
However, duct cleaning is not always necessary. SERVPRO of Toledo East will make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. We’ll provide you with peace of mind and handle your HVAC needs.
Is SERVPRO's Emergency Ready Profile® Right for Your Business?
You can never fully anticipate water damage or a fire to strike in your office, but that doesn’t mean you should not prepare as much as you can for any kind of disaster. Many businesses never reopen following a disaster; those that survive did so because they had some type of plan in place. With the SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile®, you can minimize your business’s interruptions by knowing what to do before a disaster occurs. This is key to timely mitigation and can help to minimize the effects that a fire or water damage can have on your business.
Call SERVPRO of Toledo East today and get a NO COST assessment of your business’ facility today. All it requires is a little bit of your time today, but if needed will save a lot of time in the future.
Contact us today! 419-495-5220
What Will You Do to Prevent Water Damage?
When water is where it shouldn't be, call the pros!
Water damage can affect your commercial property at any time without notice. No time is the right time to experience disaster. Once the initial shock wears off, you are left to clean up the mess and reopen as soon as possible.
Do you know what to do or how to handle disaster when it strikes your commercial business? Do you have a plan? Who do you call?
Developing a plan of action and doing your part to be prepared can significantly reduce property damage and help your business get back on track as soon as possible.
Large-scale losses can be avoided by taking a few simple precautions. Knowing where your emergency shut offs are located is crucial. Make sure that someone else is aware as well in case you are not there during an emergency. Create an emergency plan with directions of what to do as well as a contact list for disaster relief. Appoint someone you trust to make decisions in case of your absence.
It is a good idea to contact a water restoration company such a SERVPRO of Toledo East. Not only do we have the knowledge and the resources to handle any size disaster, but we also have the capability to help you put together an “Emergency Ready Plan” Before disaster strikes. This “ERP” is not meant to replace an emergency plan that you may already have in place, but it will help you to compile all your emergency contact information and show you how to get your business on the road to recovery.
Call SERVPRO of Toledo East and Schedule an appointment today! 419-495-5220
SERVPRO of Toledo East Supports the American Red Cross
Often, when people think of disasters and disaster relief the first thing that comes to mind is the American Red Cross. We share many of the same values as the American Red Cross, and we appreciate everything they are able to do when disaster strikes.
SERVPRO is and has been a national sponsor of the American Red Cross and their Ready Rating Program since March of 2013. The ready rating program is free and is web-based. It is designed to help businesses, organizations, and schools become better prepared in case of an emergency. There is no such thing as being too prepared, and the American Red Cross helps these organizations prepare for any kind of emergency.
In January 2016, SERVPRO renewed its commitment to the American Red Cross. The strategy is now focusing more on their Home Fire Preparedness Campaign by supporting Disaster Responders.
The goal of this campaign is to reduce home fire deaths and injuries across the country. Our support of Disaster Responders enables them to assist affected families quickly by providing trained volunteers, supplies, emergency response vehicles, and resources to transform community sites into shelters.
On the local level, SERVPRO of Toledo East is always looking for ways to support the American Red Cross of Northwest Ohio. Alongside them, we are dedicated to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of our friends and family in the community. We are there to help you prepare to avoid disaster, and there to help after disaster strikes.