New Years and Home Safety
With the start of a New Year many of us are focused on making resolutions to live a healthier lifestyle. Many of us will try new diets or begin an exercise program, which is great start to a healthier, happier, you but a having a safe home can be just as important to your health. As you embark on this New Year try to keep a few simple things in mind.
1) First make sure you test your smoke detectors monthly and replace the batteries at least once a year.
2) Clean out the lint from the vents and the pipe behind your dryer. Check them often to assure they are clean. Although this may not sound like a big deal lint is highly combustible and is responsible for more than 15,000 structure fires each year.
3) Change your furnace filters at least every three months, more often if you have pets or allergies.
4) Make sure you have a fire escape plan and be sure to practice it with your family often.
5) Be prepared to handle any home emergency by keeping your local SERVPRO® franchise contact information on hand.